Castle Tower Ruins – The Base

A while back (or at least that’s what it feels like at the moment) I started working on a terrain/scenery piece. I  thought i’d get it done on the very same day until I realized I had lost the one piece of basing I wanted for the piece. I looked EVERYWHERE!

…as Brandon will tell you…. everything stopped as I looked frantically for it.

I didn’t find it. The paint project was done.

Yesterday, as I was looking for my Motorhead Bad Magic CD, I found this under a pile of comics on the floor. THE MISSING BASE PIECE!

ruins-base-01

There was going to be no substitute after I saw what the final piece would look like in my minds eye. So this was a joy find.

I used PVA to stick the ruins on the CD and started tarting up my ruins.

ruins-base-02

The base color (even if you can’t really see it is actually

Vallejo Saddle Brown

Vallejo Reflective Green

Vallejo Middlestone

Vallejo Brown Violet.

ruins-base-03

 

The pebbles was something left here by some fella who wanted to do a huge terrian project but in the end left me with a ton of basing material. (These are all mine now, thank you. Three years is long enough to keep it for you.)

The lil bushs are ARMY PAINTER’s POISON IVY as is the Static Grass.

ruins-base-05

ruins-base-04

I honestly must do more of these……

Castle Tower Ruins

I have had this piece in the store now for years. I am not sure who passed me a bag of dental plaster casts but it seems to have been here almost forever.

In fact, this was not the first time i decided to paint it. I think a few years ago, I did a black primer on it and crappy lazy brown job for the chest.

14672902_10154641153309993_306639575_o

And this is how it stayed for a long long while….

Tonight tho….. it was time to do something with it.

I gave the piece a spray of Army Painter’s Uniform Grey as a base. On the back, I decided to apply a dusting of Army Painter’s Skeleton Bone.

14697070_10154641153389993_1452072876_o

I wanted to give the outside a different feel from the inside of the ruins piece

Army Painter’s Uniform Grey and some white was used to high light.

14689872_10154641153144993_1695281899_o

The chest used Vallejo’s Saddle Brown and all three of the Army Painter’s Silver paints. This was washed with Vallejo’s smoke. I also did a slight brown wash on all the recesses inside. On the outside i used pigment to stain parts i felt would drip or hold water.

14724050_10154641153154993_1789976674_o

Its at this point when as per usual the project stopped as I spent a few hours looking for a installer CD that was just the right size for this ruin.

I did not find it.

Well….. in a few years then 🙂