Mantic Games – Kings Of War Skeletons!

So Monday the 9th began like most Mondays with the boys turning up for painting night. However, they were not over to paint but to get some Infinity going. So there I was, left with no painting partner. This would have been ok if the decals I ordered from Warlord Games had arrived, but they were nowhere in sight so that project had to take a break.

So I walked around the shop’s store room and under a pile or old Dungeon Magazines was a box of Mantic’s Kings Of War skeletons. I have taken this off the shelf with hopes of entering the Mantic’s speed challenge.

(The speed challenge was one of the first few things Mantic did to enhance the connection with their customer base). The speed challenge was to assemble 10 skeletons within an allocated time. If you did this and put it on video as proof they sent you something. This was an exciting proposition for me.

Those who know anything about me would be able to guess what happened next. I put the figs aside, got all worked up about it, and finally forgot about them.

So here they were again, on my working table.

skell1

I did a quick wash with water and a light scrub with some purpose cleaner and then coated the figs with AP’s skeleton bone. These were sprayed on the sprue, just like the romans.

skell2

The next step was to decide on a color scheme. I painted a Khemri army for someone and while painting I always wondered why they all had the same color uniform. Sure, it looks great as an army but to me it didn’t really make much sense. Did they decimate and raised the whole army, if they did how many times did defeat said army? Was there a quartermaster passing out uniforms and gear? I felt an undead army should have some sense of irregular shamblings.

I decided on a small palette

  1. Vallejo Saddle Brown
  2. Reaper’s MSP Spectral White
  3. Army Painter’s Pure Red
  4. Army Painter’s Gun Metal
  5. Vallejo’s Flat Brown
  6. Army Painter’s Crystal Blue
  7. Army Painter’s Alien Purple

….and a test figure. I think test figs are important before jumping into a project. Helps me keep focus….

skell3

I hate painting irregular armies, but this was going to be the one that would break the habit. So I kept aware where applying paint to not have any of the two skellies have the same armour combination.  There was not reasoning behind this other than trying my best to give the army an irregular feel of risen puppets. I did however compromise on the shields. I left them all red.

It was very important to keep the enthusiasm going when doing an army like this. So I did a few to put before me as a beacon on needing these to be finished.

skell4

By the coming Monday I had already put aside 10 skellies. However, Guildball had arrived in the shop, and I had a feeling this would change the pace. True enough, the boys wanted to do a Guildball game on Saturday and asked if I could get some done. I said I would try.

I spent the next day or so rushing through these.

Once done all the figures were given a nice Quickshade Dip bath Dark Tone and left to cure over night.

skell5

The basing was a blend of all the extra basings that I collected, from the hobby table so it’s a mix of a few types. (Waste not, want not)

And there you have it.

skell6

10 days, 20 skellies.