My Necro legionnaires need a leader and this figure was one of the last things i wanted to paint. Honestly. This felt like such an undertaking but somehow the figure left the shelf and ended up on the painting table. I was going to be painting alone today so a little discipline is needed.
Here’s the problem a lot of people I talk to have:
When they get down to painting an army/warband/force, sometimes there is that one figure that is a little bit more detail and a little more complicated to paint. So what we do is we move it to the back of the painting line and hope by some miracle it gets painted. This figure becomes that one figure unpainted in the whole army and “I’ll paint it when I get better” is the most common defense.
It won’t get painted.
The best way to approach a project like this is to not think and just do it.
I went for a DESERT YELLOW primer which upon retrospect,I may have fared better with UNIFORM GREY. No particular reason, but the thought crossed my mind more than once during the painting.
Initially, I did the skin with MOLDY SKIN from Reaper and the shoulder pad and armor with Reaper’s Deep Ocean. But that DID NOT LOOK GOOD. However, i tried to work around it by working the rest of the figure first. So, the loin cloth got some red (AP DRAGON and PURE), some VALLEJO FLAT BROWN for the boots and gloves.
I took a step back, gave the figure another look and realized. The colors need to change. Nothing wrong with the colors but they felt rather weak on the figure.
The armor had coat of UNIFORM GREY and I did the shades with BLUE TONE. I am quite liking the ARMY PAINTER tones, and I am getting use to using them.
The skin needed a bit more “color”, so BARBARIAN FLESH and some FLESH WASH took center stage.
This figure was done in 2 hours.
Here it is.
Vallejo Flat Brown
Reaper Moldy Skin
P3 Flesh Wash