KINGS OF WAR – Elf Spearmen Regiment

It was Sunday night and I had a call asking if the shop would be open for browsing. Sure I said.

At the appointed time my guests arrived and realized I was going to be sitting around and watching YOUTUBE while I waited for them to browse.

I could be painting figures, I thought. Yes.

It honestly did not take much of a leap to head to the Mantic display shelves and choose something to paint. I already had the color scheme I liked for the Mantic Elves,I just wanted to see them all ranked up and ready for a game.

Here is where a test figure truly does its job. I painted the test the best I could, with enough detail for me to replicate the technique for a whole army. Just the right amount of detail was needed but I had to complete them fast enough so I spend less time painting and more time gaming. I also kept the figure close so I could constantly keep an eye on what I really wanted out of the figure.

I also made sure I complete them in batches. 10 at a time is manageable.

Cracking open the box of Mantic Elves Spearmen and suddenly remembering they had sticker designs to put on the shields, offered a new opportunity to make a design decision. This I felt would help the range as it would be nice to show the contents of the box. Due to how old the box I had was, the stickers were no longer sticking. So I literally got up and spent the next hour looking for a nice bottle of paper glue.

With suddenly so many elves to paint, I knew I had to pace myself. Go too fast and I would sacrifice some detail, do too slow and I would probably be at this for a long time. So I made sure I did a little every day. The goal was to complete the regiment in under one week. So I posted the pictures of the sprues on the shop’s FB as a time marker and went for it.
The shop’s FB page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wolfgameshop/

I primed them all and then did each on its own at least the initial painting. Then realized I was doing the same when detailing and basing.

This meant that while the regiment were in different stages of completion throughout the duration of the project.

This WAS ANNOYING!

It did however make finishing each one a joy as they slowly came together.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *