Ever had some figures that you’ve painted, put on the shelf and then felt that the painted figures just didn’t look or feel right?
These Chassuers were painted months ago, the first few pieces out of the Warzone Demo set i was trying to complete. They looked rather easy to do, with skin parts and cybertronic enhancements. I wanted to use them as practice for getting my NMM techniques back. I remember spending hours and hours trying to get my NMM skills and then did not practice it for literally years.
To prep, I sprayed them Matt White feeling that a while base would help with the NMM. The more organic parts, I painted using Army Painter’s Barbarian Flesh followed by a wash of P3 Flesh Wash. The inner clothing got some Matt Black and a Dark Tone Wash. At this point, they felt and looked wrong but I left it at that. I mean they were going to be used for demoes, I thought. I powered through and got all five of the models done. I now realize upon retrospection that this helped me make the decision later to repaint the models. Once you see how the whole squad looks using the color scheme, you are able to decide better. But i did not touch them and they were left on the shelf, taunting me.
Months later, I painted the Cuirassier and post the process here. (scroll down). Once that was done I put it on my shelf. And realized… “that silver looks not bad”
I was thinking of going for an NMM (non-metallic metal) with the Chasseurs, but sometimes a simpler method was a good idea. It would create unity and honestly much faster to complete.
So therein lies the dilemma quick and easy, or artistic finishes which would take a long time. For me it’d always about the figure. These chassuers would end up on the demo table to be man handled but you needed something that was not so sloppy it would make the demo less visually appealing.
I pulled them off the shelf and decided to give them a do over. Nothing too drastic but something that would clean up the figure and unify the whole squad. Doing NMM felt like a slight headache to do for all and while it offered some practice, I want to play with these ASAP!!!
I went for a base of AP’s Gun Metal for the metalic bits with a AP Shining Silver highlight. I also went for a darker skin tone of GW’s Dwarf Flesh mixed with AP’s Barbarian Flesh for a lil color. This mix started at 50/50 and I highlighted with Barbarian Flesh
The cover up repaint took about 2 hours with almost no interruptions to my painting tempo.